A Colorado state Senator is resigning instead of facing a recall election over her support for harsher gun control — and the move will preserve the Democratic majority in the legislative body.
Sen. Evie Hudak (D-Westminster) announced her resignation on Wednesday in a public letter, according to the Denver Post. Opponents of her stance on gun control were collecting the 18,900 signatures needed to force a recall. And considering Hudak won her 2012 re-election campaign by fewer than 600 votes, the recall would have likely been successful.
And if that happened, Democrats would have also lost their 18-17 majority in the Senate. Instead, a Democratic vacancy committee will appoint someone to fill her vacancy until 2014.
Read more at http://redalertpolitics.com/2013/11/27/colorado-state-sen-resigns-instead-of-facing-recall-election-over-gun-control/
- Colorado gun grabbing Democrat Evie Hudak resigns to avoid recall election (fireandreamitchell.com)
- Colorado senator facing recall petition resigning (aurorasentinel.com)
- Colorado State Senator Resigns Rather Than Face Recall Over Guns (talkingpointsmemo.com)
- Colorado Dem lawmaker resigns ahead of looming recall election (washingtontimes.com)
- Colorado Lawmaker Announces Abrupt Resignation, Becomes the Third Pro-Gun Control Dem. Out of Office (theblaze.com)
- Colorado Lawmaker Announces Abrupt Resignation, Becomes the Third Pro-Gun Control Dem. Out of Office (dancingczars.wordpress.com)
- Hudak will resign seat to end recall threat, hold Democrats’ Senate majority (kdvr.com)
- Anti-gun politician resigns abruptly: the good news and the bad news (examiner.com)
- State Sen. Evie Hudak, faced with recall, to resign (denverpost.com)
- Colorado lawmaker facing possible recall over gun-control vote resigns (reuters.com)