Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Wednesday sharply criticized outside conservative groups opposed to the House-Senate budget deal, accusing them of “using” GOP lawmakers to further their own goals.
“They’re using our members, and they’re using the American people for their own goals. This is ridiculous!” Boehner told reporters after a closed-door GOP conference meeting.
The Speaker was referring to organizations like Heritage Action, FreedomWorks and Americans for Prosperity, which all denounced the budget agreement that Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) negotiated before it was released to the public.
“You mean the groups who came out and opposed this before they even saw it,” Boehner asked, interrupting a reporter who started to ask about the criticism from conservative groups.
The Speaker delivered a similar message to Republicans inside the party meeting, when, according to Rep. Steve Womack (R-Ark.), he urged lawmakers not to be pressured by outside activists.
“The Speaker was very clear: There is only person who controls the voting cards of the member of Congress and that is the member of Congress,” Womack said.
Ryan pushed back against the outside group criticism after the meeting.
“I think it’s strange they came out in opposition to an agreement even before we reached an agreement,” he told The Hill.
In publicly denouncing the activist groups, Boehner joins senior Senate Republicans who decried their influence and their motives in mounting primary challenges against incumbents.
- Boehner Unloads At Conservative Groups That Oppose The Budget Deal: ‘This Is Ridiculous!’ (businessinsider.com)
- Boehner Snaps At Conservative Groups For ‘Using’ House Republicans (talkingpointsmemo.com)
- Boehner lashes out at conservative groups on budget deal – NBCNews.com (nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com)
- ‘Ridiculous’: Boehner blasts conservative groups over budget complaints (foxnews.com)
- Boehner Rips Conservatives Criticizing Budget Pact (politicalwire.com)
- Boehner unloads at conservative groups that oppose the budget deal: ‘This is ridiculous!’ (deathandtaxesmag.com)
- Republican panics and spats right out here in the open (prairieweather.typepad.com)
- Boehner Frustrated With Any Opposition to Budget Deal That Raises Spending (ivoter.com)
- Ryan deal gets positive review at closed-door GOP conference (afgelocal704.org)
- Boehner Frustrated With Any Opposition to Budget Deal That Raises Spending (reason.com)